| IVF mum, 45, died in birth blunder |
Tragic ... Joanne in hospital with husband and baby
A WOMAN who spent years having IVF treatment died during the birth of her first child, an inquest jury heard yesterday.
Joanne Lockham, 45, was deprived of oxygen for up to 30MINUTES during a caesarean operation, it was claimed.
Problems arose after Mrs Lockham, a nurse, was given a general anaesthetic for the op at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, Bucks.
Anaesthetists made three attempts to intubate her put a tube down her throat to give her oxygen before it was eventually believed to be successful.
But Mrs Lockham suffered a cardiac arrest. She was resuscitated but was certified dead two days later in October 2007 after sustaining brain damage. Her baby Finn survived and her husband Pete is now bringing him up in Wendover, Bucks.
Anaesthetist Dr C Prasad broke down in the witness box as he told of his attempts to get air into her lungs.
Registrar anaesthetist Dr Frederick Smith later conceded it was a disaster Mrs Lockham had been deprived of oxygen for so long. But he believed the intubation carried out was correct.
The hearing in Amersham, Bucks, continues.
|โดย: เมืองไทย พยาบาลดมไม่ได้ ทำไม [26 มี.ค. 52 9:11] ( IP A:126.96.36.199 X: )|
Published Date: 25 March 2009
A WITNESS in the inquest into the death of first-time mum, Joanne Lockham, broke down in tears this morning as he described how events went wrong during her Caesarean section.
Mrs Lockham, 45, died shortly after giving birth to her baby, Finn, after being starved of oxygen on the operating table.
Today, Dr Prasad - an anaesthetist at Stoke Mandeville Hospital - blamed faulty equipment for the death of the senior staff nurse from Wendover.
Dr Prasad described how he entered the operating theatre to give Mrs Lockham an epidural, however problems arose when he discovered her breathing tube - or bougie - was floppy instead of rigid.
"I was doing my job but I was in a complete state of shock," he told the inquest at Amersham Magistrates Court. "I couldn't think, but I was trying to be useful in anyway that I could.
"I went in at that point of time with a particular plan and that didn't happen, completely out of the blue, and the equipment was not giving way so I didn't know what to do.
"It completely numbed me. It's not what I was expecting."
The court was adjourned for 10 minutes as the doctor dissolved into tears. When he returned, he described how the breathing tube was substandard.
"The bougie was floppy and falling all over in my hand," he said. "It wasn't of the same quality as the one demonstrated in court."
Yesterday, the jury was told how Finn was due on October 3. Mrs Lockham was finally admitted to the maternity unit six days later, where it was decided to perform a caesarean birth.
Initially under an epidural anaesthetic, Mrs Lockham was put under a general anaesthetic because of 'foetal distress'.
Three attempts were made before tubes were successfully put into Mrs Lockham to give her oxygen.
Within moments of the birth, the woman suffered a heart attack and sustained irreversible brain damage which led to her death two days later.
The inquest continues.
|โดย: aa [26 มี.ค. 52 9:36] ( IP A:188.8.131.52 X: )|
โอ๊ะ โอ๋ !!!!
|โดย: จีเอ็น [26 มี.ค. 52 18:43] ( IP A:184.108.40.206 X: )|
ทำไมจะทำไม่ได้ บางจังหวัดทั้งจังหวัดประชากรล้านกว่าคนไม่มีหมอดมยาแม้แต่คนเดียวก็ยังผ่าตัดและดมยาหายไม่รู้เท่าไหร่ต่อเท่าไหร่ แต่ข่าวไม่เคยเอาไปลงเอาอะไรมาพูดว่าพยาบาลไทยดมยาไม่ได้
|โดย: คนเก่า [27 มี.ค. 52 15:25] ( IP A:220.127.116.11 X: )|
|โดย: aajj [28 มี.ค. 52 23:41] ( IP A:18.104.22.168 X: )|
|โดย: สันดอนขุดได้ สันดานขุดไม่ได้ [29 มี.ค. 52 11:40] ( IP A:22.214.171.124 X: )|